Baking for the in-laws
When you’re trying to impress your wife, then sometimes you have to impress your wife’s mother too. My mother-in-law got wind that I occasionally bake – my specialties (or just the only things I’ve attempted) are chocolate chip cookies, Nanaimo bars, Birthday cake and cheesecake. So when she invited us for Thanksgiving dinner this weekend, it came with a request for my cherry cheesecake.
I enjoy baking because it’s hard to screw things up. Just follow the recipe (in my case, it’s usually provided by my mom) and it’s bound to turn out fine. Also, sugar can cover up a lot of mistakes.
So while visiting my parents this weekend, I took advantage of their spacious kitchen and baking equipment to prepare my contribution to the meal.
Without further ado, here’s the recipe for Mom’s easy New York cheesecake.
- Usual prep time – 30 minutes.
- My prep time (photos included) – 1 hour.
- Bake time – 4o-45 minutes at 325 F.
- 1 1/4 cups Honey Graham crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 4 pkg 250 g Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened (leave at room temp until soft or put in microwave for about 30 seconds). I used two packages of regular and two light, since previously this tasted a bit rich.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup of strawberry jam or 1 can of cherry pie filling.
Are there any special things you bake to impress your wife? I’d like to hear about them in the Comments section and I might just give it a try.